Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Arizona Running



I do love running here.  I often get comments from friends about running on vacation, but here in Arizona it is just plain fun.  

I did 4 miles along the rim of the Grand Canyon the day after arriving.  I started down in the gravel parking lot down below the Rim Village buildings near the old train depot.  I chugged up the steps and started off down the trail to the east.  After just a short ways I saw the PBS film maker Ken Burns walking the other direction by himself, perhaps something to do with his new series on National Parks.

The miles on this run just flew by.  I would have kept going but needed to head back where the family was passing time in gift shops.  But what a magical place and such a great experience.  The picture of Lynda and me was taken by Matthew right after I met back up with them.
  
The next couple of days we  were in Phoenix and staying in a hotel along I-17 in the middle of town.  We picked a place that was on a running trail so I was able to get a 5 and 6 mile runs in here.  The paths border a irrigation canal on both side and includes parks and a golf course so the sense of place was pretty good.  Tunnels, as I had found last year in a different part of town, run under the busy roads so you don't need to worry about cars.  So pretty good runs.  

Then today I ran along the Lost Dog Wash trail east of Scottsdale.  This was nearly perfect.  I love trail running I got jazzed as I finished the second half of this 4 miler.  I almost felt invincible.  For the first time since the first of the year, I just seemed to dominate and powered over this rough terrain.  Just an amazing experience.  I will go back to this trail system again before we leave -- but tomorrow may do the Westworld trail which is nearby.

Yep, running is a part of my vacation.  Plan around it and do it. It's just part of our day.   Plus I have got to counter all these extra calories I seem to be swallowing.  Oh well.  

No comments:

Post a Comment