Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Team Geiger

A search of the last name "Geiger" yields 2 entries in the 2006 Portland marathon

It was my first marathon and I was feeling my way along.  Nothing was familiar, not the least of which was the distance.  At some point, I knew, I would be running the farthest I had ever run in my life.  Every step was into the unknown-- about how my body would deal,  but each was also a push into the realm of what was possible. 

I thought I had a pretty simple plan for getting to and from the race.  Lynda would get up early with me and drop me off near the race start, go back home to the boys and then after the race they would all meet me at the finish line and we would go home together.  Pretty straight forward.  

The race went well for a first marathon.  I fought through the typical cramps near the end but otherwise did fine.  I was just sticking my toe in the water of long distance running and just like almost everybody trying this distance for the first time, finishing was my number one goal.  

But something unexpected happened on the back side of the course out near mile 20.    At this spot in the course the organizers had placed a timing mat and the width of the road was narrowed from two lanes to less than one.  Families used this "pinch point" to look for their loved ones running in the race.  I could see this up ahead for awhile and noticed a whole group of people sitting along the curb, waiting just before the narrowing.  

And then something happened-they saw me and suddenly all stood up!  As I got closer they started started cheering me on.  A little closer and some of the group, there must have been 10 or 12 of them, picked up small cardboard signs and held them over their heads.  All of them were clad in the same red colored T-shirt with black block letters across the chest.  And the closer I got the encouragement got louder and more animated.  

Soon I got close enough that I could read the signs they waved above with outstretched arms.  And I was shocked.  "TEAM GEIGER" the signs boasted and this was wonderful!  My last name is Geiger!  And the shirts, all 10 or 12 bright red shirts, they said TEAM GEIGER too!  Everyone was wearing the same little uniform to show their support.  Wow!  I knew running a marathon was a proud accomplishment but I never expected this!  

But then I looked below the signs held high and above the black block letters across their chests and...and looked into their faces and ...I didn't know any of these people!  Not a one.  Nobody.  Complete strangers.  But they're still going nuts and cheering me on, all excited.  And as I came even nearer I trotted up to them with this look of utter bewilderment and muttered panting "Geigers?"  I said,  "I'm a Geiger."  And they all looked equally confused and said, "well so is she" and pointed behind me.  

I turned and looked over my shoulder and there was a young woman just running up.  Heather was her name...Heather Geiger!

Later I looked to see how many Geiger's ran the 2006 Portland Marathon.  There were only two us--out of thousands of runners.  And on that day somehow we converged at the same point at exactly the same time in a very unlikely fashion.  

And true to my simple plan, my family was waiting for me and cheering me on--right where I expected them.  At the finish line.  

No comments:

Post a Comment