Monday, July 6, 2009

Playlist: Stop & Stare



Sometimes I leave my iPod at the house when I go out for my run.  It may be because it's a shorter distance or more likely the mood of the day suggests an outing without anything to change it.  Times when I just want to run free of devices and feel and hear the world as it is.  Other times I just tire of all the wires and fiddling with the  gadgets.  
But most of the time I take it with me.  Even then I'll often take the ear buds out during the run and just let them clank around below my neck (I route the wire under my shirt so that I don't snag it with my hands which I find very annoying).  In addition to listening to Fdip and some of it's off-shoot podcasts, I of course listen to music.
Again, mood mostly inspires me on to what I listen too.  When I was down in Arizona in March I bought an album appropriately called "Second Wind"  filled with native American flute music which complimented my runs out in the dessert.  Back home I still listen to it when I'm feeling mellow and just want some quiet background sounds for a slow run at dusk.  (It wasn't until I had this bought and downloaded that I realized that most if not all of the music was done on a synthesizer.  I wanted real wooden flute music dammit!! Oh well.)
My favorite music is that which has a lot of passion and emotion poured into it.  A song where I can touch the feelings pouring from the artist.  Alan Jackson's "I'll Try"  comes to mind.  He almost seems to cry near the end of the song - and it always makes me think of her when I hear it.  
But there can be strong energy in music and running too and there are certain song that are able to pull me past some of the long miles.  So, once in awhile I share some of those songs here.  
One of my favorites I keep deep in my playlist to give me that extra motivation late in the miles.  For me the song is all about becoming a runner and for me it is full of heart.  Because as a runner I've become what I can't be.

1 comment:

  1. Stop & Stare...Love it! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete