Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Loose Ends


The boys and I spent all day Saturday doing trail maintenance up at Mt. Rainier near Paradise. It was a good experience for them and they had such a great time that they want to do it every year and maybe see if they can adopt a trail closer to home.

We worked on water bars, added stepping stones in areas that will get muddy next spring and removed a "social" trail by replanting it with native vegetation (above right). They were shocked at how well the side trail disappeared with an afternoon's work. There was a pizza party afterwards at an old lodge and they should a preview of the new National Parks show that will be on PBS.

My new job has been going well. I really love the work and the challenge although today I left there feeling quite frustrated after studying for my certification test. I was much too slow taking an on-line practice exam. It's a lot of material and by the time I left I was discouraged and a bit punchy.

Training for the marathon is going okay--so far. My ankle was tender today after hitting a pothole or something trying to run in the dark last night. Tonight is my only day off from running which I needed because my legs are tired. I am using the Ellis plan that I got from him about a year an a half ago. I'm jumping into the middle of it (unwisely perhaps) so my mileage for this week will double to 50 or more including a 16 on Sunday. Am I ready for it? No. But as someone once said to me, it is my risk and so my reward. Or as Yoda said, "there is no try or try not. There is only do". So I'll go do it.

No comments:

Post a Comment