Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Froggie Went a Courtin

Spring comes early to my house this year

It's the first of March and I've already mowed the lawn a few times. Except for a one time fling with some un-forecasted snow one afternoon back in December, this winter has been amazingly warm and dry here in Pacific NW.

Most years it's the crocus and daffodil's poking their heads out that catches my attention and gives me the first clue that we're returning toward the light. But this year it was the tree frogs with their chorus of kreck-ek, kreck-ek. Yah, just as soon as it stays warm enough at night the males break out into song to attract that special...uh...mate. One of them will start, and then not to be out done, or out romanced, soon the entire pond is... umm...krecking. And I say good for them.
http://www.uoregon.edu/~titus/herp/chorus.wav

No comments:

Post a Comment