Saturday, April 3, 2010

Still On The Blue Bubble


Hello planet! I'm still here and still running...and behind the scenes, still blogging. I have been working on an entry that has to do with some abstract ideas and I want to get it right. I remember reading a response from Hemingway when asked what he found most challenging about writing. He answered very simply, "the words". That's where I have been. Trying to get the words right. Uh, did I just compare myself to Ernest Hemingway? Eeek.

Running has been going pretty good. Despite being less consistent than I would prefer, I have had some good strong runs recently. At least my perception of the efforts has been positive. The other night for example Randy and I ran late in the evening just to get something done and it quickly became apparent that we were both feeling especially spirited and had a good rhythm going. To me, I felt the middle miles were about an 8'15" pace and after years of doing this I like to think that I have reasonable guesstimate of how fast I'm going. But when I got back and looked at the numbers, we were really running much slower than that, closer to 9 minute miles.

Yesterday I went down to the track to do a speed workout. I was supposed to do two 1-mile repeats with a half mile jog in between but, as is my style, I procrastinated for so long that I only had time for a single mile at the goal pace of 6'50", plus the warm up/cool down miles. I'll do it right next week, but again I felt pretty good.

Oh, I forget to mention that as of last week I am training for the Helvetia Half Marathon in Hillsboro in mid-June. To give me some semblance of a training program I printed up the free plan from the Runnersworld website using my CIM finishing time, a 30 mile/week average and a desire to work "very hard" as the criteria. So that's where that speed workout came from yesterday. I have nine weeks to train but doubt I can PR there because Helvetia is very hilly in the early going.

Tomorrow morning I going to run the Bridge to Brews 10k. No expectations--just going to go have fun. The name of this race seems wrong to me. There are two bridges and you get one complimentary beverage at the end, so shouldn't it be "Bridges to Brew"? No matter. I'll just have to have two Hef's so it will all make more sense. Should be a good time. Still not clear if I'm driving and finding parking or taking the train.

Both of the websites I use to log my miles have had big upgrades recently. Garmin Connect has a lot more data and options now, and has the cool toy of seeing your run in the "3D" using a Google Earth viewing choice. And over at Buckeye Outdoors, which is my "official" log because I can adjust the mileage if my watch doesn't capture it correctly for one reason or another, Ben has given his site a huge upgrade. It includes a faster and easier download of data from my watch that I can even get on Garmins own site!! Not only that, but his doesn't even require using an antenna plugged into the computers USB port. And not only that but it automatically lists all my mile splits, which I didn't even bother recording on Buckeye before because it took so long. Really cool! All that shows up in the right sidebar on this blog automatically too. Now if he could just find a way of filling in the comments section without me having to type them in, I'd be REALLY impressed.

So yes, to my single "follower" (THANKS TONI!!) after years of adding to this awesome blog, I am still here and I still have lots of ideas for things to write about. Just caught in a little backwater at present. But things are good and all is well.
4-17-2010

No comments:

Post a Comment